Saturday, March 07, 2009

Mini Vanilla Meringue Baskets

Experimenting with meringues. I think my oven was a bit too hot, because the interiors were a bit too sticky, and the exteriors were not dry enough.




Vanilla Meringues

- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/3 tsp cream of tartar
- vanilla extract

  1. I believe the general rule of thumb for a French Meringue is 2 egg whites per 1/2 cup sugar. However, I prefer mine a little less sweet, so I halved the sugar amount.
  2. Separate whites from yolks with fingers, being careful not to get any yolks into the white mixture. Let whites sit at room temperature about half a day.
  3. Add cream of tartar.
  4. Whip to soft peak stage.
  5. Add in sugar, 1 tsp. at a time.
  6. Whip to hard peaks.
  7. Fold in vanilla extract.
  8. Pipe little baskets onto Silpat.
  9. Bake at 250 degrees F for about 30 minutes, or until dry and hardened.
  10. Leave in oven to dry and cool off.
  11. Store in air-tight container, do NOT refrigerate.
  12. Will last 1-2 days before the meringue starts to weep.
  13. Plate no more than half an hour before serving.

1 Comments:

At 11:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, this reminds me of pavlova. What a great idea -- let me know when you perfect it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home