Thursday, July 03, 2008

Molasses Brined Pork Chops

I'm going on a July 4th road trip, so I thought it'd be great to brine some pork chops and bring them along. The chops turned out beautifully- in fact, I might have over-grilled them, because I thought the meat was still undercooked due to the effectiveness of the brining. Also, I didn't have time to do a proper spice rub, only had time to rub pepper and curry on them, but it still turned out pretty well.

Molasses Brine

- 1.5 gallons water
- 1 cup salt
- molasses
- brown sugar
- ketchup
- pepper
- chopped ginger
- thyme
- rosemary

  1. Basically, make a huge pot of whatever brine ingredients you want to throw in.
  2. Heat until boiling, to properly dissolve ingredients.
  3. Let brine solution cool- otherwise solution will cook the meat.
  4. Pour cooled brine solution to cover proteins. Do NOT brine more than 12 hours, or meat will take on the consistency of ham.
  5. For my pork chops, they were pretty thick, about 1.5" with the bone-in. I brined for about 8-9 hours.
  6. Discard brine solution, dry chops, and pat with spice rub of your choosing.
  7. Grill until meat near the bone no longer looks pink.
  8. Remove from heat, let rest 5 min.
  9. Enjoy!
  10. The meat will be a little salty, so I'd recommend cutting the saltiness with a slightly sweet spice rub, or adding a nice mango salsa side dish.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home