Sunday, January 03, 2010

Vanilla Bean Rice Pudding with Orange-Vodka Raisins

I cooked a huge pot of white rice (Comet: long grain rice, 28 oz) which completely filled my 4.5 quart pot. I was looking for a method of disposal. Aha, rice pudding of course. This is the fatty version; I'll make future healthier version with brown rice and milk/soy milk.

I also prefer my rice pudding with more rice in it, so the numbers below are approximate. I basically added in rice until I liked the consistency. Keep in mind though that the rice does absorb a bit of liquid, so don't add in too much, or else the pudding will be too dry.

Rice Pudding

- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 vanilla beans, split, beans scooped out
- 2-3 cups cooked rice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- orange juice
- vodka
- raisins
- cinnamon

  1. Mix together the evaporated milk, whole milk, and heavy cream. Add the vanilla beans, and bring to a slight boil; then reduce heat and simmer.
  2. Add in cooked rice.
  3. Simmer for 30-40 minutes; stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and add in sugar.
  4. In a separate bowl, mix together vodka and orange juice, then soak raisins for several hours, preferably overnight.
  5. Let rice pudding sit for 2 hours in refrigerator; touch surface of pudding with aluminum foil to prevent a skin from forming.
  6. Serve at room temperature with raisins, dash of cinnamon.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home