Sunday, December 09, 2007

Challah Bread

Just trying my hand out at challah bread. I admit that I did have some trouble braiding the dough, but hey, I'm a guy. I've never braided hair before!

Challah Bread

- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp water
- 3 1/4 cups King Arthur flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- egg wash
- poppy and sesame seeds

  1. Sprinkle yeast into bowl of lukewarm water. Let stand 5 minutes.
  2. Mix with flour to form a soft paste. Cover with dish towel ~ 20 minutes.
  3. Add honey, eggs, and melted butter. Knead until smooth and shiny.
  4. Let sit ~ 2 hours; punch down, and let rest 10 minutes.
  5. Divide into 3 equally long pieces, and braid.
  6. Place on a buttered baking sheet, ~ 45 min-1hr, or until doubled in size.
  7. Brush with egg wash, and add poppy/sesame seeds.
  8. Bake at 350 degrees F for ~ 45 minutes.
My challah isn't quite as 'yellow' as the kind that they sell in the stores, but it tastes more wholesome IMO.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home