Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Buttermilk Banana Bread

The buttermilk helps make the banana bread super moist and delicious. After making a dozen loaves, I'm pretty happy with the recipe.

Buttermilk Banana Bread

Makes 2 loaves.

- 4 eggs beaten
- 2/3 cup buttemilk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 6 banana mashed (use the blackest bananas you can find, it's ok if they've liquified)
- 1 cup light brown sugar (I prefer my banana bread less sweet)
- 3.5 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Ghirardelli 60% bittersweet chocolate chips
- quick oats for topping (though old-fashioned look better)
- flax seed for topping
- sunflower seeds for topping
- cinnamon
- granulated sugar

  1. Mix together eggs, buttemilk, oil, bananas.
  2. Add brown sugar.
  3. Sift, then mix together in separate bowl, flour, baking soda, salt.
  4. Add flour mixture in thirds to bananas. Do NOT overmix, or resulting bread will be too dry.
  5. Add chocolate chips last.
  6. Grease loaf-pans.
  7. Mix together cinnamon and sugar.
  8. Fill two loaf-pans halfway.
  9. Sprinkle tops of batter with oats, cinnamon-sugar mixture, and/or flax/sunflower seeds.
  10. Bake at 325 degrees F for about 70-80 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
  11. Let loaves sit in pan for ~ 5-10 minutes before attempting to remove.
  12. Remove and let cool overnight on wire rack.
  13. Enjoy!

The oats add a nice "rustic" look to the banana bread.



They were quite tasty if I say so myself.

2 Comments:

At 5:35 PM , Anonymous Grace Lu said...

This is great timing - I have some buttermilk I wanted to use on muffins or some other bready yet desserty breakfast snack. I assume this recipe will be foolproof (for the average fool)! Some questions:

1. If my ripe bananas are frozen, how would you recommend defrosting them? In the fridge overnight?
2. Have you tried Baker's Joy (oil+flour spray) and do you swear by it?
3. Can I make these as muffins and, if so, should I lower the oven temp. and will they still turn out pretty tasty?
4. I don't see many black specks of ripest-of-ripe banana in your picture of the sliced banana bread; were the bananas you used in this picture not the blackest?
5. For all of the mixing, do you just use a spatula and mix by hand, or do you use some other tool/s?

Merci, chef!

 
At 8:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this recipe could probably use more bananas (in answer to question #4), but I'm reasonably satisfied with the texture and taste. You'll have to tweak it to your liking.

1) Fridge overnight sounds fine, or just leave on countertop.

2) I'm not familiar with Baker's Joy.

3) I haven't tried them in muffin form, but I imagine they'd be pretty tasty.

4) I used bananas that were at the liquified black stage.

5) Stand mixer.

HTH

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home