Sunday, March 06, 2011

Moo Shi Chicken with Chinese Pancakes

Growing up, we used to make moo shi/moo shu pork as a special family project, and I would always help my dad with the pancake making. Well, mainly the pancake pan frying.

So I thought it would be a fun project if I tried making moo shi by myself from start to finish; making the filling and pancakes myself. For the filling, I didn't have any pork on hand, so I used chicken breast seasoned with soy sauce and oyster sauce. I also added shiitake mushrooms, shredded carrots, cabbage, and scrambled eggs. Other proteins may also be used, such as turkey breast or pork.

For the pancakes, I made a hot water dough, brushed two circular halves with sesame oil, lightly pan frying them, then peeling apart.

Served with some fresh cut scallions, and the awesome hoisin sauce!


Slightly malformed pancake, haha.


How do you eat moo shi you ask? First, start with a big stack of pancakes/Chinese "tortillas", and a nice jar of hoisin sauce.


Next, get your pot of filling ready.

Add a little fresh scallion to the pancakes.


Then add a bit of the filling to the middle.


Voila!


Now roll it up for eating! Also, the pancake plain with just hoisin sauce is delicious!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home