Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Apple Frangipane Tart

Finally perfected my tart; I fanned my apple slices out at a flatter angle, though if I placed them near vertical and closer together, I think it might look better.

Also, I baked the tart in my quiche pan, which lacked a removable tart bottom. This required me to transfer between pans, and during which, I unfortunately broke off part of the tart crust. Doh.

I found I had to bake for longer, or until the apples were browned on top.

Recipe adapted from Foodrepublik.

Tart Crust

- 1 1/3 cup AP flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 stick cold butter, diced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar

Frangipane Filling

- 1 stick softened butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp almond extract (I always like adding more in, haha)
- 3/4 cup almond flour

  1. Make tart shell, mold into quiche pan, trim off excess if shell sidewalls too high. Freeze for at least an hour (will prevent shell from shrinking while baking).
  2. Make frangipane filling, adding almond flour last.
  3. Slice apples, toss in lemon juice.
  4. Spread frangipane inside unbaked, frozen tart shell.
  5. Spiral overlapping apples in the shell, doing a reverse spiral in the inner circle. Sprinkle with additional sugar, since apples were just sitting in lemon juice. Additional sugar will help them brown nicely.
  6. Bake tart at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees F and bake until apples are browned, or about 45 minutes for me. I'm not sure if the initial bake temperature at 400 degrees F made that big of a difference; alternatively, could just bake at 350 degrees F for 45-55 minutes.
  7. Cool and glaze with apricot jelly wash.
  8. Make at least a day in advance; let sit in refrigerator for flavors to meld together.


Had a great almond flavor!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home