Saturday, December 15, 2007

Trying my hand at old recipes.

Just some variations on items I've done in the past. The lighting is also somewhat poor in the pictures.

Seared Scallops with Creme Cauliflower Soup

The sear on the scallops didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. Was distracted by talking.




White Chocolate Cheesecake with Pomegranate Coulis, Fresh Berries

I was experimenting with the plating on this one. I was trying to make my coulis a little thicker, but it ended up being a bit lumpy instead. Maybe I should just try for a pomegrante cream sauce instead in the future.

The mini-cheesecakes I made from my standard recipe.

1 x 8 oz. cream cheese
1/4 cup sugar
2 medium eggs (or 1 jumbo egg)
pinch of cornstarch/flour
salt
melted white chocolate

Bake at 350 degrees C ~ 20 minutes. Dusted with cocoa powder for a color contrast, and arranged individual pomegranate seeds? on each cheesecake.




I did try something new though, see below.

Croissants with Baked Camembert, Toasted Figs

For the croissants, I cheated and started with puff pastry dough. To form the croissants, you first cut the puff pastry into a rectangle, then cut out isosceles triangles- the taller the triangle, the larger your croissant. Roll up the triangle, and brush with egg wash.

For the camembert, you can bake it in the box that it is packaged in, so long as the box is held together by staples, and not glue.

For the fresh figs, cut in half, and dust with a bit of all-spice and sugar. Bake the cheese and figs for about 10-15 minutes at 350, and bake the croissants at 375-400 for 15-20 minutes.

Serve hot.

The croissants before going into the oven:




After:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home